Thursday, February 24, 2011

Snow in July

*What did they get into now? Describe a time your toddler got into something they shouldn't have.
~Mama Kat's Workshop


This prompt brought back a flood of memories.  With three children I have many "toddler" moments... some funny... some sad..& some bittersweet. Now that my toddlers are 18, 16, & 13 years old respectively I can view those memories in a different way than I may have at the time. Maybe it's wisdom gained...God's trade-off for body sagging! :)

Our third child, our precious girl, was born with an infection and was given a 30% chance of surviving. (She is a sweet and sassy 13 year old now!) Hormones running rampant, as I drove back and forth to the NICU, life was a blur at that time.  I do remember an especially difficult day where Hannah was hooked up to new tubes, and another mother passed away from complications in childbirth.

I walked in our home at 11:00pm...so sad, weary, and not sure when I would feel the light shining again.  My husband embraced me, listened, and then said, "You may want to check on the boys before you head into bed."  As I opened the door my first thought was how yummy it smelled, followed quickly by my second thought of "How did snow get in here?" ...in July no less!! As my post-partum brain got up to speed I realized that it wasn't snow covering every surface and lightly dusted over the floor...it was baby powder! Our 4 and 3 year old decided to create a blizzard...inside... in the summer...just for the joy of it! I couldn't help but smile and cry at the same time as I looked at my two little guys fast asleep...surely dreaming of snowmen and sledding.

After my hubby promised to clean it up (whew! love him!) I couldn't help but think how God took the time to touch my day. I also learned it's all about perspective. Any other time I would have probably been impatient and upset about the mess. But on this night, I could only thank God for showing me that the world still was beautiful, magical, and just plain silly....and He showed me that through the mischievousness of my two little guys.

Yes, what a wonderful world.  <3

5 comments:

  1. That's a sweet story and I'm so glad that you have it to tell. Visiting from Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop.

    Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww!! That is so sweet- I probably would've seen the baby powder and had an emotional breakdown. Thank goodness for good husbands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy your baby girl beat those odds.
    I had snow in my living room once but mine was from an entire bag of flour! My vacuum cleaner spit out flour for months after that and I nearly blew a gasket every single time. I can actually...almost.. laugh about it now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister powdered the powder room once. She is 40 now and we still hear the story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet story!! Time lends itself to proper perspective, doesn't it? :) Did you take any pictures?
    Stopping by from MK's

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment & make me smile!